Distracted driving comes in a lot of forms, from using your phone to eating behind the wheel. It's incredibly dangerous to everyone on the road.
When you're more focused on sending an emoji or "liking" a picture, you're putting other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists at risk.
Dangers of Distracted Driving Facts
- Looking at a text takes 5 seconds. Going 55 MPH, you've traveled 300 feet. That's the length of a football field!
- 10% of fatal crashes and 15% of injury crashes in 2015 were distracted-driving affected. NHTSA
- The NSC estimates that cell phone use alone accounted for 27% of 2015 car crashes. NS
- In 2015, there were 3,477 people killed and an estimated additional 391,000 injured in crashes involving distracted drivers. NHTSA
- The fatal crash rate for teens is 3 times greater than for drivers age 20 and over. (IIHS)
- Driver distraction is responsible for more than 58% of teen crashes. AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
We don't want to tell a parent or a spouse that their loved one is gone, because either they or another driver, was distracted...so remember this phrase:
Phones Down, Eyes Up!