Alcohol Breath Testing Unit Supervisor
- Job Code: W2778
- Pay Grade:WM
- Pay Scale:$20.91-$37.84 Hourly; $43,492.80-$78,707.20 Annually
Perform technical and supervisory work analyzing content of breath samples under the general supervision of an immediate supervisor who evaluates performance through observation of work, periodic conferences, critiques, and/or records and reports. Primary duties include supervising a staff of technicians, maintaining documentation, and monitoring the quality and accuracy of analyses.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Arrange work schedules, evaluate performance, and supervise activity of assigned technicians.
- Prepare personnel and payroll documents and statistical reports.
- Order supplies and maintain inventories.
- Train technicians in preparation and maintenance of logs, operation of breath testing machines, and the use of cameras and recorders in sobriety tests.
- Maintain relationship with assistant state attorneys to stay current with applicable statutes, court procedures, and other sources of information related to alcohol breath testing.
- Review tests for accuracy, ensure evidence chain of custody is maintained, and testify to basic alcohol physiology and testing procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of state and county laws, ordinances and regulations governing alcohol breath analysis.
- Working knowledge of court procedures and actions.
- Working knowledge of safety measures in the use of alcohol breath analysis equipment and supplies.
- Skill in the use of and care of alcohol breath analysis equipment and supplies.
- Skill in making presentations to groups.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle difficult situations involving hostile individuals.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to organize information into a logical presentation format.
- Ability to maintain work related records and prepare reports.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Possession of a current State of Florida permit to conduct chemical analysis.
- Four years of experience in alcohol breath testing or related procedures.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training