Public Relations Coordinator
- Job Code: U8742
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$33.65-$40.87 Hourly; $69,992.00-$85,009.60 Annually (Starting Range)
Perform complex or specialized public relations work at the technical lead level. Plan, direct, and/or coordinate activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise awareness for the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Study the objectives, promotional policies, or needs of the agency to develop public relations strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas or services; plan or direct development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public perceptions of agency accomplishments, agenda, or public responsibility.
- Develop plans or materials to communicate activities undertaken by the agency that are beneficial to the public safety or other important social issues; arrange public appearances, lectures, or exhibits for the public to increase service awareness or to promote goodwill.
- Establish and/or maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, media, employee, or public interest groups.
- Respond to requests for information from the media or designate an appropriate spokesperson or information source; provide requested public records to the news media after appropriate information has been redacted in accordance with the Florida public records law.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, General Orders, memoranda and bulletins in order to answer inquiries from the media or public.
- Write interesting and effective press releases or other media communications and prepare information for media kits; prepare or edit agency communications (e.g., employee newsletters, annual reports, PSAs, videos, brochures) for internal or external audiences.
- Update and maintain content posted on the agency intranet, internet, social media sites, etc.
- Assist in crisis communication and public safety communication efforts.
- Assist in the coordination of ceremonial functions both internal and external; conduct speaking engagements at public events.
- Attend conferences, training classes, and workshops to keep abreast of new trends in public information dissemination.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of media production, communications, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform the public via written, oral, and visual media.
- Extensive knowledge of the functions, services, procedures, and regulations of the area to which assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of various computer software used in the development of communication media.
- Extensive knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Skill in talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Skill in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Ability to plan, organize, and review the work of others.
- Ability to keep up with the current/emerging technology in the public relations and criminology fields.
- Ability to establish objectives and strategies, identify required resources, and develop plans to carry out work.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work long hours under high-stress situations, including reviewing case records on homicides; child abuse/neglect cases; sexual assault and other major crime incidents.
- Ability to be in an on-call status, available 24 hours a day.
- Ability to analyze data and present ideas and information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use considerable initiative, think independently, and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to use a computer, printer, and word processing software.
- Ability to use various social media platforms.
- Ability to use still and video cameras and still and video camera editing software; photocopier; and sound systems.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a public relations, communications, journalism, media relations, or closely related field from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, communications, journalism, or media.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Experience with and on television media.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training