- Job Code: XCG01
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$12.04 Hourly; $4,332.47 Yearly
Be responsible for the safety of children crossing busy streets and intersections to and from school while maintaining a pleasant, courteous, and helpful attitude toward the school children and the general public at all times.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Provide for the safety of school children at designated school crossings near designated elementary schools.
- Escort children across the street going to and from school.
- Help prevent children from crossing the street during heavy traffic flow until it is safe to cross.
- Report license numbers of cars who fail to slow down near school zones, or who fail to stop for children when signaled to do so.
- Familiarize themselves with the location and purpose of the street traffic signs (such as school signs and speed signs) within the assigned areas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Some knowledge of traffic signals and traffic patterns and behavior.
- Knowledge of basic safety procedures and practices relevant to being a school crossing guard.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to use good judgment when interacting with children.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
Part-Time Job Benefits
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Florida State Retirement Program