- Job Code: W5035
- Pay Grade:WK
- Pay Scale:$18.59-$33.59 Hourly; $38,667.20-$69,867.20 Annually
Perform skilled technical duties in the operation and maintenance of stationary engines, turbines, air compressors, generators, motors, boilers, and auxiliaries; and heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment to supply utilities for buildings. Also perform duties relating to building maintenance and renovation.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Operate, maintain, clean, adjust, and repair high pressure steam boilers, emergency power generators, HVAC systems, and auxiliary components.
- Conduct standard chemical analyses of boiler and cooling tower water and take corrective action as needed.
- Install and maintain electrical, mechanical, and plumbing fixtures and equipment.
- Inspect, test, and maintain building safety and security systems.
- Perform renovations, maintenance, and repair of buildings and other physical structures.
- Take readings of control and monitoring instruments.
- Keep records of operating conditions and of the operation and repair of equipment.
- Assist in establishing policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure operational efficiency.
- Assist in the preparation of budget documents, monitor status of allocated funds, and control expenses.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the use and operation of high pressure steam operated equipment, HVAC systems, emergency power generators, and similar mechanical equipment and their components.
- Working knowledge of materials and tools used in the maintenance and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Working knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the renovation, maintenance, and repair of buildings and other physical structures.
- Some knowledge of the budget preparation process.
- Skill in the use of mechanical and electrical testing and diagnostic equipment, shop, and hand tools.
- Ability to detect, analyze, diagnose, and correct malfunctions in stationary mechanical equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Three years of experience in the operation and maintenance of stationary engines, turbines, air compressors, generators, motors, boilers, and/or heating, ventilating, or air conditioning equipment including one year in two or more of the building trades such as: carpentry, masonry, electrical, plumbing installation, and/or repair.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training