- Job Code: W5035
- Pay Grade:WK
- Pay Scale:$18.32-$33.09 Hourly; $38,105.60-$68,827.20 Annually
Perform skilled technical duties in the operation and maintenance of stationary engines, turbines, air compressors, generators, motors, boilers, and auxiliaries; and heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment to supply utilities for buildings. Also perform duties relating to building maintenance and renovation.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Operate, maintain, clean, adjust, and repair high pressure steam boilers, emergency power generators, HVAC systems, and auxiliary components.
- Conduct standard chemical analyses of boiler and cooling tower water and take corrective action as needed.
- Install and maintain electrical, mechanical, and plumbing fixtures and equipment.
- Inspect, test, and maintain building safety and security systems.
- Perform renovations, maintenance, and repair of buildings and other physical structures.
- Take readings of control and monitoring instruments.
- Keep records of operating conditions and of the operation and repair of equipment.
- Assist in establishing policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure operational efficiency.
- Assist in the preparation of budget documents, monitor status of allocated funds, and control expenses.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the use and operation of high pressure steam operated equipment, HVAC systems, emergency power generators, and similar mechanical equipment and their components.
- Working knowledge of materials and tools used in the maintenance and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Working knowledge of the practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the renovation, maintenance, and repair of buildings and other physical structures.
- Some knowledge of the budget preparation process.
- Skill in the use of mechanical and electrical testing and diagnostic equipment, shop, and hand tools.
- Ability to detect, analyze, diagnose, and correct malfunctions in stationary mechanical equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Three years of experience in the operation and maintenance of stationary engines, turbines, air compressors, generators, motors, boilers, and/or heating, ventilating, or air conditioning equipment including one year in two or more of the building trades such as: carpentry, masonry, electrical, plumbing installation, and/or repair.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training