- Job Code: W0598
- Pay Grade:WP
- Pay Scale:$24.94-$45.26 Hourly; $51,875.20-$94,140.80 Annually
Maintain, troubleshoot, repair, and install countywide telecommunications systems and peripheral equipment including structured cable and wireless/mobile to maintain network connectivity.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, repair, install, and test telecommunications systems and peripheral equipment.
- Assist with wireless operational difficulties and service related problems; and troubleshoot technical issues and coordinate problem resolution.
- Assist designers, analysts, and management in evaluating and designing telecommunications networks.
- Participate in specification development and selection of telecommunications systems.
- Develop project plans for wireless technology initiatives and manage wireless technology project implementations.
- Monitor and troubleshoot sophisticated data communications systems operational difficulties to determine if problems exist in communications lines, hardware, or software and repair as necessary.
- Deliver, pick up, install, and/or troubleshoot telecommunications equipment at remote locations to maintain operational capabilities with host site.
- Develop operating controls and procedures for personnel and train operators and terminal users in the use of diagnostics.
- Manage the telecommunications inventory and set up software files for remote telecommunications sites and equipment.
- Serve as liaison with equipment vendors and telecommunications company for the proper installation, operation, and maintenance of operating systems; act as liaison for any radio communication system related projects and technical enhancements with other agencies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Technical familiarity with telecommunications systems and the interrelationship of these systems with other computer equipment.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications computer systems hardware and software.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications equipment used to test and repair telecommunication systems.
- Knowledge of functions, services, procedures, and regulations of assigned organization.
- Knowledge of cellular and personal communication systems.
- Knowledge of wireless data technologies.
- Knowledge of conventional VHF/UHF two way radio systems and equipment and trunked radio systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of the budget and procurement processes of assigned organization.
- Skill in the use of telecommunications diagnostic and repair tools.
- Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to diagnose telecommunications hardware and software problems and take corrective action to resolve problems.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and schematics.
- Ability to train other technicians and users.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Four years of experience troubleshooting and repairing various components such as structured cabling systems (fiber optic and Ethernet) for local area networks, wireless/mobile telecommunications equipment, telephone keys systems, VOIP systems, fire/burglar alarm panels, and fuel monitoring systems.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training