- Job Code: W0598
- Pay Grade:WP
- Pay Scale:$24.57-$44.59 Hourly; $51,105.60-$92,747.20 Yearly
Maintain, troubleshoot, repair, and install countywide telecommunications systems and peripheral equipment including structured cable and wireless/mobile to maintain network connectivity.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, repair, install, and test telecommunications systems and peripheral equipment.
- Assist with wireless operational difficulties and service related problems; and troubleshoot technical issues and coordinate problem resolution.
- Assist designers, analysts, and management in evaluating and designing telecommunications networks.
- Participate in specification development and selection of telecommunications systems.
- Develop project plans for wireless technology initiatives and manage wireless technology project implementations.
- Monitor and troubleshoot sophisticated data communications systems operational difficulties to determine if problems exist in communications lines, hardware, or software and repair as necessary.
- Deliver, pick up, install, and/or troubleshoot telecommunications equipment at remote locations to maintain operational capabilities with host site.
- Develop operating controls and procedures for personnel and train operators and terminal users in the use of diagnostics.
- Manage the telecommunications inventory and set up software files for remote telecommunications sites and equipment.
- Serve as liaison with equipment vendors and telecommunications company for the proper installation, operation, and maintenance of operating systems; act as liaison for any radio communication system related projects and technical enhancements with other agencies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Technical familiarity with telecommunications systems and the interrelationship of these systems with other computer equipment.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications computer systems hardware and software.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications equipment used to test and repair telecommunication systems.
- Knowledge of functions, services, procedures, and regulations of assigned organization.
- Knowledge of cellular and personal communication systems.
- Knowledge of wireless data technologies.
- Knowledge of conventional VHF/UHF two way radio systems and equipment and trunked radio systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of the budget and procurement processes of assigned organization.
- Skill in the use of telecommunications diagnostic and repair tools.
- Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to diagnose telecommunications hardware and software problems and take corrective action to resolve problems.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and schematics.
- Ability to train other technicians and users.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Four years of experience troubleshooting and repairing various components such as structured cabling systems (fiber optic and Ethernet) for local area networks, wireless/mobile telecommunications equipment, telephone keys systems, VOIP systems, fire/burglar alarm panels, and fuel monitoring systems.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training