Law Enforcement Corporal
- Job Code: S2730
- Pay Grade:SP
- Pay Scale:$32.38-$41.75 Hourly; $70,717.92-$91,182.00 Annually
Perform law enforcement duties that include the supervision of assigned staff to maintain law and order in designated areas of Hillsborough County.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Supervise the work of assigned officers by scheduling, assigning, and reviewing work; provide training, counseling; and evaluate performance.
- Patrol assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity, interrogate suspicious persons, and advise and assist assigned officers in maintaining law and order.
- Prepare and submit daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Respond to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigate incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehend and arrest suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Prepare and preserve evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testify in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Control activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforce traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Provide information and assistance to the public.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical, or prison facilities.
- Maintain patrol car, weapons, and other law enforcement equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of local, state, and federal laws pertinent to law enforcement.
- Considerable knowledge of law enforcement guidelines and crime detection and criminal investigation methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of court procedures.
- Working knowledge of supervisory functions.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and related equipment.
- Skill in administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to act quickly and correctly in emergencies.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, and impartially.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority.
Minimum Education & Experience
- An associate’s degree or 60 semester or 90 quarter hours (or equivalent) towards a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Six years of experience as a Law Enforcement Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) by the time of the Promotion Application deadline.
Additionally, the following is required:
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.
- Promotion Application.
- Eighty hours of investigative training.
- Eighty hours of subject-specific advanced, specialized training, or career development courses.
- Proof of participation in the Career Development program for a 30-day period in a detective position.
- No punitive disciplinary action consisting of a 5-day suspension or greater and/or involuntary or voluntary demotion within the last two years.
- An overall rating of three “fully acceptable” or better on the annual evaluation in the Employee Performance Management System (EPMS) for the three years prior to the Promotion Application deadline.
- A rating of three “fully acceptable” or better in each dimensional category on the annual evaluation in EPMS within the one year prior to the Promotion Application deadline.
- Live within Hillsborough County or within Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Lake, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, or Sumter County as long as the residence is located within the 60-mile parameter of Falkenburg Road Jail at the time of appointment/employment.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- Maintenance of a valid passing test score on the HCSO Corporal Promotional Exam.
- Successful completion of the Fitness Challenge as designed within one year prior to the corporal application submission.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training