Law Enforcement Corporal
- Job Code: S2730
- Pay Grade:SP
- Pay Scale:$32.87-$42.37 Hourly; $71,788.08-$92,536.08 Annually
Perform law enforcement duties that include the supervision of assigned staff to maintain law and order in designated areas of Hillsborough County.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Supervise the work of assigned officers by scheduling, assigning, and reviewing work; provide training, counseling; and evaluate performance.
- Patrol assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity, interrogate suspicious persons, and advise and assist assigned officers in maintaining law and order.
- Prepare and submit daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Respond to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigate incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehend and arrest suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Prepare and preserve evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testify in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Control activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforce traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Provide information and assistance to the public.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical, or prison facilities.
- Maintain patrol car, weapons, and other law enforcement equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of local, state, and federal laws pertinent to law enforcement.
- Considerable knowledge of law enforcement guidelines and crime detection and criminal investigation methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of court procedures.
- Working knowledge of supervisory functions.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and related equipment.
- Skill in administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to act quickly and correctly in emergencies.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, and impartially.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority.
Minimum Education & Experience
- An associate’s degree or 60 semester or 90 quarter hours (or equivalent) towards a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Six years of experience as a Law Enforcement Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) by the time of the Promotion Application deadline.
Additionally, the following is required:
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.
- Promotion Application.
- Eighty hours of investigative training.
- Eighty hours of subject-specific advanced, specialized training, or career development courses.
- Proof of participation in the Career Development program for a 30-day period in a detective position.
- No punitive disciplinary action consisting of a 5-day suspension or greater and/or involuntary or voluntary demotion within the last two years.
- An overall rating of three “fully acceptable” or better on the annual evaluation in the Employee Performance Management System (EPMS) for the three years prior to the Promotion Application deadline.
- A rating of three “fully acceptable” or better in each dimensional category on the annual evaluation in EPMS within the one year prior to the Promotion Application deadline.
- Live within Hillsborough County or within Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Lake, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, or Sumter County as long as the residence is located within the 60-mile parameter of Falkenburg Road Jail at the time of appointment/employment.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- Maintenance of a valid passing test score on the HCSO Corporal Promotional Exam.
- Successful completion of the Fitness Challenge as designed within one year prior to the corporal application submission.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training