- Job Code: W0902
- Pay Grade:WM
- Pay Scale:$20.60-$37.28 Hourly; $42,848.00-$77,542.40 Annually
Perform entry level professional accounting duties involving the maintenance and review of accounting and fiscal records and preparation of financial statements.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Maintain financial records, accounts, ledgers, and journals.
- Analyze and audit accounting and fiscal data, records, and reports for a smaller department/agency or as part of a functional business unit.
- Prepare standard journal entries, and post transactions to proper accounts.
- Prepare summaries, trial balances, and related reports and statements for the assigned functional business unit.
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of time and leave reports, payroll records, and pay vouchers.
- Receive funds, prepare deposits, and reconcile bank statements.
- Conduct field audits within the scope of the assigned functional business unit.
- Reconcile and balance financial statements and accounting records and ledgers.
- Prepare operating budgets.
- Compose correspondence.
- Direct, supervise, and review the work of assigned staff.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles, practices, procedures, methods, and theory.
- Knowledge of laws, rules, and policies governing assigned functional accounting area.
- Knowledge of computer operations using accounting and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to develop computer based spreadsheets, graphs, summaries, and reports.
- Ability to post, balance, and reconcile financial accounts and records.
- Ability to learn supervisory principles, practices, and procedures.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Four years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- An associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in accounting.
- Three years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in any business related field.
- Two years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in accounting or finance.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training