Senior Digital Communications Dispatcher
- Job Code: W2774
- Pay Grade:WL
- Pay Scale:$19.43-$35.12 Hourly; $40,414.40-$73,049.60 Annually
Perform advanced duties receiving and directing emergency and non-emergency calls and utilizing emergency communications equipment to dispatch emergency response personnel to provide timely response to requests for assistance; oversee the work performed by subordinate staff. First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), and FCIC/NCIC certifications must be obtained during the probationary period.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Receive 911 and non-emergency calls, quickly and calmly assess the situation, enter information into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system for agency dispatch, and/ or redirect them to specific or alternate emergency responding agencies or departments.
- Connect conference calls involving two or more parties to render timely emergency assistance.
- Dispatch emergency response personnel using digital and/or analog voice communications equipment and/or an emergency computer dispatch system.
- Create reports to identify incorrect location information received through the Automatic Location Information system in order to initiate corrective actions.
- Pinpoint the location of emergency/non-emergency calls initiated from land lines or cellular phones using a Global Positioning System (GPS) and initiate emergency call-backs to obtain additional information or to follow-up on disconnected calls.
- Type memoranda and reports and duplicate or edit emergency call recordings in response to court subpoenas and public records requests; may be required to testify in court in order to provide an accurate account of information received from emergency/non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Maintain records and reports including shift reports and operational logs.
- Provide guidance, training, and oversight of the work performed by subordinate staff.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of Agency policies, procedures, and guidelines; digital and audio communications equipment operation; and the communication center standard operating procedures, regulations, and 911 system.
- Working knowledge of law enforcement; emergency, medical, or fire terminology; and effective communication techniques.
- Ability to accurately assess emergency information, make correct decisions, and respond to emergencies in a calm and controlled manner.
- Ability to operate a multi-line or computerized telephone, digital, audio, or radio communications equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to locate offices, agencies, or individuals promptly through directories or other information sources.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work effectively with others and follow established procedures.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical or chronological systems.
- Willingness to work rotating shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Willingness to perform duties at temporary emergency command centers and locations during periods of local, state, and national emergencies.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Possession of a valid State of Florida 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicator Certification.
- Two years of experience as a Digital Communications Dispatcher in Hillsborough County.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training