Senior GIS Analyst
- Job Code: W0582
- Pay Grade:WO
- Pay Scale:$23.65-$42.87 Hourly; $49,192.00-$89,169.60 Annually
Perform advanced analytical duties related to the development and operation of a Geographic Information System (GIS) to create, update, and maintain maps.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Perform complex analysis of GIS data based on specified criteria and generate reports based on resulting data for use in projects, reports, and decision making processes.
- Develop scripts and models to perform advanced analysis and streamline routine GIS tasks.
- Maintain GIS databases and design schema; convert data from various sources for entry into databases; use various computer languages to manipulate data and produce reports; enforce best practices for GIS incorporation of legacy data; develop user instructions; and establish and maintain related procedures and symbol set libraries.
- Design project maps and databases; analyze reports; make recommendations based on final prints.
- Train user staff and provide technical support in application of statistical and thematic mapping software.
- Create complex maps to convey information to non-technical staff.
- Serve as liaison with other County departments and outside agencies for effective system applications.
- Supervise lower level GIS staff and act as GIS Manager in event of absence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of GIS computer database development and management.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized cartographic/mapping hardware and software.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized mapping symbols, standards, and terminology.
- Working knowledge of computer programming using different languages as applicable to GIS systems.
- Skill in the use and operation of computers and peripheral equipment such as digitizers, plotters, and drafting instruments. Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to read and interpret aerial photographs, maps, deeds, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Five years of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
- An associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in geography, urban or regional planning, mathematics, computer science, or management information systems.
- Three years of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in geographic information systems (GIS) or a major in geography, urban or regional planning, mathematics, computer science, or management information systems with a GIS emphasis.
- One year of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training