Senior GIS Analyst
- Job Code: W0582
- Pay Grade:WO
- Pay Scale:$23.30-$42.23 Hourly; $48,464.00-$87,838.40 Annually
Perform advanced analytical duties related to the development and operation of a Geographic Information System (GIS) to create, update, and maintain maps.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Perform complex analysis of GIS data based on specified criteria and generate reports based on resulting data for use in projects, reports, and decision making processes.
- Develop scripts and models to perform advanced analysis and streamline routine GIS tasks.
- Maintain GIS databases and design schema; convert data from various sources for entry into databases; use various computer languages to manipulate data and produce reports; enforce best practices for GIS incorporation of legacy data; develop user instructions; and establish and maintain related procedures and symbol set libraries.
- Design project maps and databases; analyze reports; make recommendations based on final prints.
- Train user staff and provide technical support in application of statistical and thematic mapping software.
- Create complex maps to convey information to non-technical staff.
- Serve as liaison with other County departments and outside agencies for effective system applications.
- Supervise lower level GIS staff and act as GIS Manager in event of absence.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of GIS computer database development and management.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized cartographic/mapping hardware and software.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized mapping symbols, standards, and terminology.
- Working knowledge of computer programming using different languages as applicable to GIS systems.
- Skill in the use and operation of computers and peripheral equipment such as digitizers, plotters, and drafting instruments. Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to read and interpret aerial photographs, maps, deeds, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Five years of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
- An associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in geography, urban or regional planning, mathematics, computer science, or management information systems.
- Three years of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in geographic information systems (GIS) or a major in geography, urban or regional planning, mathematics, computer science, or management information systems with a GIS emphasis.
- One year of experience in GIS hardware and software support.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training