Senior Help Desk Specialist
- Job Code: U8747
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$16.83-$21.64 Hourly; $35,006.40-$45,011.20 Annually (Staring salary range)
This a mid-level support position within our Help Desk Section which handles first contact for the Sheriff’s Office user community to assist and resolve technical issues. Responsible for training all new employees on the Help Desk Section team and work as the senior personnel amongst the other Help Desk Specialists.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Assist with user inquiries via multiple methods such as phone, email, walk-ins, remote sessions, and/or the information technology (IT) support management application.
- Provide quick, accurate, and useful technical assistance for a range of computer systems, software, and hardware components.
- Perform troubleshooting, research, and problem resolution through diagnostic techniques to answer and/or resolve queries on basic technical issues, and offer advice to solve them for users.
- Perform as project manager coordinating implementation planning and documentation.
- Provide responsible technical and professional assistance to departments by troubleshooting day-to-day software, hardware, databases, and related application issues.
- Communicate effectively to understand the problem and explain its solution.
- Initiate, document, and conduct various levels of internal and external user training.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive library of support staff and user documentation and training materials.
- Document complete records of events and user exchanges of all inquiries, technical issues, and/or resolutions clearly and accurately within the IT support management application.
- Work effectively with other support team members and IT staff in ongoing design, testing, and support of business application system needs.
- Coordinate testing activities among various areas for software releases including end user training and documentation.
- Utilize system tools, time, and resources effectively, and provide timely status reports to management.
- Maintain continued personal IT knowledge growth by utilizing internal knowledge base, internal and external resources, and other applicable furthering education initiates including IT related certifications.
- Lift equipment and/or delivered parcels up to 50 lbs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of various computer systems, software, hardware, mobile devices, and other technical products.
- Customer service skills.
- Help desk technician and/or other customer support role(s) skills.
- Strong analytical and solution/problem solving skills.
- Time management skills.
- Strong English written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues.
- Ability to engage in active listening and work effectively with others.
- Ability to type proficiently while participating in an active conversation with users.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Ability to analyze and quickly debug issues.
- Ability to accept and follow direction, protocol, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time using a telephone headset.
- Ability and willingness to a range of shifts and schedules including days, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to take ownership of an aspect or task on a project with little to no assistance.
- Demonstrated high-level of emotional intelligence understanding and practice.
- Proven track record of influencing group discussions and steering conversations to positive conclusions.
- Proven track record of submitting viable solutions to discovered problems.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- One current technical certification (e.g., CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+).
- Three years of concurrent paid work experience (within the last two years) in the troubleshooting, resolution, maintenance, evaluation, and/or implementation of various computer systems, software, and/or hardware.
- An associate's degree accredited institution of higher education in a technical field; and
- Two years of concurrent paid work experience (within the last two years) in the troubleshooting, resolution, maintenance, evaluation, and/or implementation of various computer systems, software and/or hardware.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field. One year or more of experience in a Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Information Services Division position.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
- 40 net words per minute on a typing test; or 133 gross keystrokes per minute with 90% accuracy on a data entry test.
Preferred Education & Experience
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field.
- Two or more current technical certifications (e.g., CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+).
- Four years of concurrent paid work experience (within the last two years) in the troubleshooting, resolution, maintenance, evaluation, and/or implementation of various computer systems, software, and/or hardware.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training