Small Arms Armorer/Training Specialist
- Job Code: W2792
- Pay Grade:WO
- Pay Scale:$23.65-$42.87 Hourly; $49,192.00-$89,169.60 Annually
Perform small arms and ammunition inventory control and maintenance and corresponding training management duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Research, assess, develop, implement, evaluate, revise, and provide instructional curricula and/or programs for sworn and civilian personnel to maximize student acquisition and retention of knowledge, skills, abilities, and perspectives.
- Maintain small arms weapons, ammunition, and firearms related equipment accountability as determined by the division commander.
- Repair and maintain weapons; issue ammunition.
- Requisition weapons and ammunition and related supplies and equipment.
- Conduct weapons training.
- Be responsible for firing range security and safety.
- Schedule and monitor the use of firing range facilities and equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of small arms operation, repair, and maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms training methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms range operations and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms range security and safety procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of ammunition nomenclature.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate
- Two years of experience as an armorer, gunsmith, or firing range official or small arms instructor.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training