Small Arms Armorer/Training Specialist
- Job Code: W2792
- Pay Grade:WO
- Pay Scale:$23.30-$42.23 Hourly; $48,464.00-$87,838.40 Annually
Perform small arms and ammunition inventory control and maintenance and corresponding training management duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Research, assess, develop, implement, evaluate, revise, and provide instructional curricula and/or programs for sworn and civilian personnel to maximize student acquisition and retention of knowledge, skills, abilities, and perspectives.
- Maintain small arms weapons, ammunition, and firearms related equipment accountability as determined by the division commander.
- Repair and maintain weapons; issue ammunition.
- Requisition weapons and ammunition and related supplies and equipment.
- Conduct weapons training.
- Be responsible for firing range security and safety.
- Schedule and monitor the use of firing range facilities and equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of small arms operation, repair, and maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms training methods and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms range operations and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of small arms range security and safety procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of ammunition nomenclature.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate
- Two years of experience as an armorer, gunsmith, or firing range official or small arms instructor.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training