Master Control Operator
- Job Code: W2920
- Pay Grade:WI
- Pay Scale:$16.53-$29.80 Hourly; $34,382.40-$61,984.00 Annually
Operate and monitor electronic security, fire, and safety support, two-way radio, and telephone systems in a control center within a detention facility.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Operate telephone and radio systems to transmit and receive information concerning detention center activities.
- Monitor and respond to emergency communications signals and provide assistance and support as required.
- Operate computerized electronic surveillance system to monitor operational status; facilitate the movement of inmates, staff, and visitors within the complex; and conduct building security checks.
- Maintain facility operation status boards, incident logs, and equipment operation status logs; and prepare work orders as required.
- Respond to telephone and radio calls and transmit requests for assistance or information to the appropriate area.
- Provide authorized information to private citizens and public agencies concerning inmates.
- Report known information to superiors and initiate emergency actions as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the use and operation of radio, electronic surveillance, and telephone communication equipment.
- Working knowledge of operation center systems, operational capability, and facility's security procedures.
- Working knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Ability to monitor and interpret surveillance video system.
- Ability to operate multi-line telephone, multi-channel radio systems and computers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively during emergencies.
- Ability to prepare and maintain logs and records.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability and willingness to work shift schedules.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Six months of experience in operating radio communications equipment.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training