Master Control Operator
- Job Code: W2920
- Pay Grade:WI
- Pay Scale:$16.29-$29.36 Hourly; $33,883.20-$61,068.80 Annually
Operate and monitor electronic security, fire, and safety support, two-way radio, and telephone systems in a control center within a detention facility.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Operate telephone and radio systems to transmit and receive information concerning detention center activities.
- Monitor and respond to emergency communications signals and provide assistance and support as required.
- Operate computerized electronic surveillance system to monitor operational status; facilitate the movement of inmates, staff, and visitors within the complex; and conduct building security checks.
- Maintain facility operation status boards, incident logs, and equipment operation status logs; and prepare work orders as required.
- Respond to telephone and radio calls and transmit requests for assistance or information to the appropriate area.
- Provide authorized information to private citizens and public agencies concerning inmates.
- Report known information to superiors and initiate emergency actions as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the use and operation of radio, electronic surveillance, and telephone communication equipment.
- Working knowledge of operation center systems, operational capability, and facility's security procedures.
- Working knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Ability to monitor and interpret surveillance video system.
- Ability to operate multi-line telephone, multi-channel radio systems and computers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to communicate effectively during emergencies.
- Ability to prepare and maintain logs and records.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability and willingness to work shift schedules.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Six months of experience in operating radio communications equipment.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training