Reserve II Deputy Trainee
- Job Code: XR005
- Pay Grade:00
- Pay Scale:Volunteer
The training consists of a 360-hour Reserve Academy, a passing score on the State of Florida required Auxiliary Certification Exam, and approximately 82-hour Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) after academy training. The Sheriff’s Office pays the tuition costs for the Reserve Academy, which is held Monday - Thursday, 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM and some Saturdays at Hillsborough Community College. If the individual has completed a Florida law enforcement academy, his or her certification may be re-activated resulting in only needing to take the HCSO after academy training.
Learn to work with certified full time law enforcement deputies on various detail assignments throughout the Sheriff’s Office to become certified and eligible for promotion to Reserve II Deputy. Each Reserve II Deputy must serve a minimum of 20 volunteer hours each month on assigned duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
Note for Trainees: Trainees are expected to learn the following duties while in a trainee status.
- Work with a full time deputy and/or specialized units to include: Canine, Warrants, Selective Enforcement Squad (Street Crimes Unit), Vice, Auto Theft Task Force, Aviation, Marine Unit, and DUI Enforcement.
- Engage in various other law enforcement activities and duties to include: assist with surveillances, securing crime scenes, rendering aid during natural disasters and join search parties, and performing traffic control services.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laws pertinent to law enforcement.
- Working knowledge of law enforcement guidelines and criminal investigation methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and other law enforcement related equipment.
- Skill in administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to act quickly and correctly in emergencies.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, and impartially.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate.
Additionally, the following are required:
- 21 years of age or older.
- United States citizen.
- Of good moral character.
- Six months tobacco free at time of application.
- Must not possess any employment conflicts of interest (e.g., employment as bail bondsman, lawyer, private investigator, security guard, any job requiring a Class D or G Security License) at the time of appointment/employment.
- Live within Hillsborough County or within Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Lake, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, or Sumter County as long as the residence is located within the 60-mile parameter of Falkenburg Road Jail at the time of appointment/employment.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- Successful completion of pre-employment testing including the standard HCSO Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training