Multimedia Communications Specialist
- Job Code: U8716
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$19.23-$24.04 Hourly; $39,998.40-$50,003.20 Annually (Starting salary based on experience)
This position is responsible for public relations work at the support level; strategy, execution, and performance of messaging across multiple platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.); and the delivery of compelling digital media content including, but not limited to, the creation of videos, still photographs, and animations for the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Develop an intimate understanding of Sheriff’s Office message and tone to accurately capture in video and photo form; assist with the development of videos and graphics for social media, websites, and various departments and divisions within the Sheriff’s Office through collaboration with creative teammates and senior management as needed.
- Establish and/or maintain cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, media, employee, or public interest groups.
- May capture studio-quality video and photographs as projects dictate both in the office and on location.
- Support the Public Affairs Office (PAO) with other related tasks as needed including daily operations within the Print Shop.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of current trends, laws, and issues affecting area of expertise.
- Assist in crisis communication and public safety communication efforts.
- Assist in the coordination of ceremonial functions both internal and external.
- Attend conferences, training classes, and workshops to keep abreast of new trends in public information dissemination.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of media production, communications, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform the public via written, oral, and visual media.
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures, and regulations of the area to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of various computer software used in the development of communication media.
- Working knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Working knowledge of Sheriff’s Office policies, procedures and services offered to the community.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to interact professionally and effectively with staff and general public.
- Ability to apply constructive criticism from peers.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to self-manage projects and interact with both internal and external personnel in a manner that helps create a dynamic, team-based culture.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, deal effectively with competing and changing priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be accurate, detail-oriented, and organized.
- Ability to analyze and resolve difficult problems and situations.
- Ability to influence others through explanation of facts, policies, and practices.
- Ability to work within the constraints of both Sheriff’s Office guidelines and short timelines.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision.
- Ability to work on a Mac platform.
- Ability to work in a high-stress environment such as developing crime scenes.
- Ability and willingness to work day or night shifts or non-standard work hours/days.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a subtropical climate in adverse weather conditions.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Four years of experience in public relations, communications, journalism, media, marketing, and/or social media management.
- An associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in communications, public relations, journalism, media relations, marketing, multimedia, or closely related field.
- Two years of experience in public relations, communications, journalism, media, marketing, and/or social media management.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in communications, public relations, journalism, media relations, marketing, multimedia, or closely related field.
- One year of experience in public relations, communications, journalism, media, marketing, and/or social media management.
Additionally, the following is required:
- Work some nights, weekends, and holidays to support Sheriff’s Office events.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Two years of progressive experience in a communications environment.
- Experience with social media.
- Experience with photo editing and video editing.
- Proficiency with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Proficiency in a Mac environment.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training