Equipment Mechanic I
- Job Code: W5010
- Pay Grade:WH
- Pay Scale:$15.71-$28.29 Hourly; $32,676.80-$58,843.20 Annually
Perform inspections, maintenance, and minor repairs on automotive and related equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Troubleshoot and repair various types of vehicles and equipment.
- Assist Equipment Mechanics of a higher level in major repairs.
- Operate various types of vehicles as required to complete proper maintenance.
- Perform preventative maintenance.
- Inspect and adjust equipment used in performance of duties.
- Procure and record required materials and supplies.
- May perform emergency road servicing.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Some knowledge of the materials, tools and methods used in the repair, maintenance, and servicing of a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Some knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and methods.
- Some knowledge of parts requirements including ordering and recording.
- Skill in locating and correcting defects.
- Skill in the use of shop tools.
- Ability to understand and perform diagnostic testing.
- Ability to operate motorized equipment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain maintenance records.
- Ability and willingness to work in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise level.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, and crouch at ground level.
- Ability to carry up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- One year verifiable experience repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment such as automobiles, trucks, or lawn maintenance equipment.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training