Equipment Mechanic I
- Job Code: W5010
- Pay Grade:WH
- Pay Scale:$15.48-$27.87 Hourly; $32,198.40-$57,969.60 Annually
Perform inspections, maintenance, and minor repairs on automotive and related equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Troubleshoot and repair various types of vehicles and equipment.
- Assist Equipment Mechanics of a higher level in major repairs.
- Operate various types of vehicles as required to complete proper maintenance.
- Perform preventative maintenance.
- Inspect and adjust equipment used in performance of duties.
- Procure and record required materials and supplies.
- May perform emergency road servicing.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Some knowledge of the materials, tools and methods used in the repair, maintenance, and servicing of a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Some knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and methods.
- Some knowledge of parts requirements including ordering and recording.
- Skill in locating and correcting defects.
- Skill in the use of shop tools.
- Ability to understand and perform diagnostic testing.
- Ability to operate motorized equipment.
- Ability to prepare and maintain maintenance records.
- Ability and willingness to work in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise level.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, and crouch at ground level.
- Ability to carry up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- One year verifiable experience repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment such as automobiles, trucks, or lawn maintenance equipment.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training