- Job Code: W0107
- Pay Grade:WG
- Pay Scale:$14.83 -$26.61 Hourly; $30,846.40-$55,348.80 Annually
Sew, repair, or alter garments in support of the Sheriff’s Office overall professional appearance goals.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Assist employees in determining final product by balancing their needs and Sheriff’s Office set standards and regulations.
- Take custom measurements and mark garments for alteration using the proper tools (e.g., tape measure, straight pins).
- Fit, repair, alter, or embellish clothing including, but not limited to, sleeves, backs, sides, collars, waists, buttons, zippers, hooks, various types of patches, seams, taking out hems to lengthen, shortening lengths, adding cuffs, and general repairs.
- Perform routine maintenance on sewing machines and other related equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Sheriff’s Office alteration standards and regulations regarding professional appearance.
- Exceptional time management, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Ability to use and maintain proper tools and sewing equipment.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb ladders.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability and willingness to work day or night shifts or non-standard work hours/days.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Five years of paid experience in tailoring/alterations.
Additionally, the following is required:
- Work some nights, weekends, and holidays to support Sheriff’s Office needs.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Five years of paid sewing experience.
- Experience in altering public safety apparel.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training