Criminal Intelligence Analyst
- Job Code: W2750
- Pay Grade:WM
- Pay Scale:$20.60-$37.28 Hourly; $42,848.00-$77,542.40 Annually
Research and analyze criminal activities in support of operational goals and mission to implement and support Intelligence-Led Policing (ILP). Provide short-term and long-term crime and intelligence analysis to law enforcement personnel and other components to assist in the identification of on-going and emerging crime patterns and trends, serious and prolific offenders, and criminal groups and organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Research and analyze criminal intelligence data in response to requests for assistance in solving crimes.
- Analyze daily criminal activity reports to identify methods of operation, trends, and possible suspects to assist law enforcement personnel to solve or prevent crimes.
- Update computerized crime data files to maintain the latest information on possible suspects, organized criminals, subversive organizations, and known career criminals.
- Prepare and distribute current criminal intelligence information reports to internal staff and other agencies to keep them apprised of current information.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and procedures used in crime research and analysis.
- Working knowledge of research methods and crime analysis techniques.
- Working knowledge of computer database and spreadsheet systems.
- Some knowledge of the Uniformed Crime Reporting (UCR) system.
- Some knowledge of the principles of law enforcement administration and crime prevention.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain work related records.
- Ability to prepare and present reports.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Three years of experience analyzing data, identifying trends and patterns and developing trend charts/graphs, and writing summary reports.
- An associate's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in a behavioral or social science, criminal justice, mathematics, statistics or business administration.
- Two years of experience analyzing data, identifying trends and patterns and developing trend charts/graphs, and writing summary reports.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in a behavioral or social science, criminal justice, homeland security, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration, or geographic information systems.
- One year of experience analyzing data, identifying trends and patterns and developing trend charts/graphs, and writing summary reports.
- Successful completion of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Intelligence Analyst Trainee program.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training