Law Enforcement Deputy
- Job Code: S2748
- Pay Grade:SM
- Pay Scale:$23.68-$38.79 Hourly; $51,717.12-$84,717.36 Annually
Perform law enforcement duties to maintain law and order in designated areas of Hillsborough County.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Patrol assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogate suspicious persons.
- Respond to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigate incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehend and arrest suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Prepare and preserve evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testify in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Control activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforce traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Provide information and assistance to the public.
- Prepare and submit daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical, or prison facilities.
- Maintain patrol car, weapons, and other law enforcement equipment to ensure operational readiness.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laws pertinent to law enforcement.
- Working knowledge of law enforcement guidelines and criminal investigation methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of traffic accident control measures and investigation methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of court procedures.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms and other law enforcement related equipment.
- Skill in administering Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to act quickly and correctly in emergencies.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to enforce the law courteously, tactfully, firmly, and impartially.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Possession of a valid certification by the State of Florida as a law enforcement officer.
- One year of experience as a state, county, or city law enforcement officer in good standing not pending any discipline or under active investigation.
- Successful completion of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee status.
Additionally, the following are required:
- 21 years of age or older.
- United States citizen.
- Of good moral character.
- Six months tobacco free at time of application.
- Live within Hillsborough County or within Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Lake, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, or Sumter County as long as the residence is located within the 60-mile parameter of Falkenburg Road Jail at that time of appointment/employment.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- Successful completion of pre-employment testing including the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Law Enforcement Basic Abilities Test (Law Enforcement BAT).
- Successful completion of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff's Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training