Help Desk Specialist
- Job Code: U8746
- Pay Grade:99
- Pay Scale:$15.00-$20.00 Hourly; $31,200.00-$41,600.00 Annually (Starting Salary)
Act as the first point of contact in an entry level support position. Provide technical assistance and support for incoming inquires and issues related to computer systems, software, and/or hardware. Respond and perform troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions via phone, email, walk-ins, remote sessions, and/or the IT support management application.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Assist with user inquiries via multiple methods such as phone, email, walk-ins, remote sessions, and/or the IT support management application.
- Provide quick, accurate, and useful technical assistance for a range of computer systems, software, and hardware components.
- Perform troubleshooting, research, and problem resolution through diagnostic techniques to answer and/or resolve queries on basic technical issues, and offer advice to solve them for users.
- Maintain good technical knowledge on a variation for a range of computer systems, software and hardware components.
- Communicate effectively to understand the problem and explain its solution.
- Walk users through the problem-solving process.
- Provide end-user training.
- Document complete records of events and user exchanges of all inquiries, technical issues, and/or resolutions clearly and accurately within the IT support management application.
- Direct unresolved issues to the next level of support personnel.
- Follow up and update customer status and information.
- Pass on any feedback or suggestions by customers to the appropriate internal team and/or manager.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive library of support staff documentation.
- Maintain continued personal IT knowledge growth by utilizing internal knowledge base, internal and external resources, and other applicable furthering education initiates including IT related certifications.
- Lift equipment and/or delivered parcels up to 50 lbs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of various computer systems, software, hardware, mobile devices, and other technical products.
- Customer service skills.
- Help desk technician and/or other customer support role(s) skills.
- Strong analytical and solution/problem solving skills.
- Strong English written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues.
- Ability to engage in active listening and work effectively with others.
- Ability to type proficiently while participating in an active conversation with users.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Ability to work reactively, proactively, and effectively.
- Ability to analyze and quickly debug issues.
- Ability to accept and follow direction, protocol, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time using a telephone headset.
- Ability and willingness to a range of shifts and schedules including days, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Two years of recent (within the last year) paid work experience in a help desk, technical, or customer support role.
- An associate’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field.
- One year of recent (within the last year) paid work experience in a help desk, technical, or customer support role.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
- 40 net words per minute on a typing test; or 133 gross keystrokes per minute with 90% accuracy on a data entry test.
Preferred Education & Experience
- A recent (conferred within the past two years) bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a technical field.
- One current technical certification (e.g., CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+).
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff's Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.
General Benefit Information
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Florida Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
- Paid time off including sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Employee Assistance Program
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee incentives for educational degrees and bilingual (Spanish) abilities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid training