Perform trainee duties of semi-skilled work involving two or more trades in the minor construction, maintenance, and repair of buildings, equipment, and facilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
Note: Incumbents function in a trainee capacity to gain proficiency in the duties listed below and become eligible for promotion to Multi-Trades Worker I upon successful completion of the trainee status.
- Perform lawn, landscape and grounds maintenance functions in a subtropical climate.
- Assist electricians in installing and repairing electrical wiring, fixtures, and related equipment.
- Assist painters in mixing and matching paints, stains, and painting.
- Assist plumbers in installing, maintaining, and repairing pipes, valves, faucets, sinks, and other plumbing facilities.
- Assist masons in laying brick, cement block, and sidewalks.
- Assist carpenters in repairing chairs, tables, fences, doors, windows, floor, and other articles and fixtures.
- Assist maintenance personnel in the repair and maintenance of buildings.
- Assist HVAC mechanics in the operation, maintenance, and repair of heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning equipment.
- Assist equipment mechanics in the repair and maintenance of gasoline and/or diesel operated vehicles or other related mechanical components.
- Assist with the construction, maintenance, and repair of roads, ditches, culverts, and associated structures.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Assist in the use of gas/electric operated equipment.
- Clean work sites upon work completion.
- Drive a motor vehicle to and from work sites.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Note: To be acquired during the training period.
- Some knowledge of procedures and techniques used in two or more construction trades.
- Some knowledge of the construction and maintenance of various types of buildings and facilities.
- Some knowledge of safety procedures and safety equipment.
- Skill in the use of hand and electrical tools and equipment used in building and construction.
- Ability to read and interpret blue prints and drawings.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
Required Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
Additional Job Requirements
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face. Tattoos on hands, neck, or arms must be covered with white, black, or neutral colored covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 24 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a criminal background investigation including polygraph; reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; medical evaluation; and drug screening.